Gooey Banoffee Cake | Tutorial

Leave a Comment

I'm a big fan of Banoffee pie and thought this cake is ideal for you banana loaf or banoffee pie lovers out there as it combines the two perfectly. I used my tried and tested Victoria Sponge (well Mary Berry's) recipe which I know always comes out ok and I'm glad this time was no exception. I made this just yesterday for a birthday and I think it went down well, I liked it anyway!


So I thought why not share the recipe and when you've got a hankering for some cake and lots of overripe bananas that are heading for the bin, you could try this too!

Ingredients for the sponge: 
250g Self Raising Flour
250g Unsalted Butter or Stork 
250g Caster Sugar
4 Eggs
1tbsp Vanilla Paste/Beans (this is optional, it doesn't really need it)


-Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius, grease (if they are not silicone) and line two eight inch sandwich tins with baking paper.
- Cream the sugar and butter together until creamy.
- Add in the eggs and the vanilla if your using it then beat until all is combined.
- Fold in the flour a little at a time just to save you cleaning up even more mess later, then mix together until all the ingredients are combined and no lumps are to be found anywhere.
- Divide as best you can between the two sandwich tins and pop into the oven for 20- 25 mintues or until golden, DO NOT open the oven door until at least 20 mintues in or your sponges will sink. No one wants a sunken sponge. 
- Now leave them to cool completely.


Ingredients for the filling & topping:
2 Ripe Bananas
1 Tin of Carnation Caramel
600ml Double Cream
1 Cadburys Flake
Salt (any kind you like) 
Banana Chips


- Whisk up the double cream with a blender if possible until thick but not so thick that it doesn't have 
any movement. 


- Spread a generous amount of caramel over one side of the sponge, I used about half, maybe a little more of the tin (i somehow resisted eating it).
- Top the caramel with thinly sliced banana pieces.
- Then top with about half of the whipped cream, i made it so much harder for myself by putting the cream on the other sponge and then placing it on top. I recommend just popping it on top of the banana or even piping it on, then placing the sponge on top once it's all filled.



I then decided to make the rest of the cream salted caramel flavour so I added the remaining caramel sauce to the cream and sprinkled some salt in with it. I personally love salted caramel and really think the salt brings out the flavour of the caramel. I decorated my cake with a flake and banana chips but you can decorate it with anything you like, there's so many options! 

I recommend you put the cake straight in the fridge at this point so that it not only stays fresh until you want to eat it but it hardens the cream slightly, so fingers crossed it doesn't fall apart. Cream cakes are hard to work with as they love to slide around so you have to work super quick, but it doesn't matter if it looks a little messy as I think it adds to the charm. 

Let me know if you have a go!
Until next time xo





SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig