Why Colouring Is Good For Your Mental Health

14 comments

Until recently colouring was a fun activity that was reserved only for children and any adult that bought a colouring book with the intent of using it themselves was considered a bit weird. Well how things have changed! Adult colouring books are even outselling cookery books, how crazy is that. So in a turn of events it appears that colouring is now a form of therapy to relieve both stress and anxiety. I bought my first colouring book last year when I was going through a bout of stress from insomnia and bad health, I thought it would help to reduce my anxiety levels and provide me with that much needed calm feeling I so desperately craved. 


Colouring is the new (also cheaper) form of meditation therapy, when you are colouring your not thinking about anything else in that moment, it's just you and your pen and its suprising how much of a distraction colouring can create. It takes you back to your childhood when things were a little easier and you can almost go back to being a child again and escape adult life for a while.

So mindfulness, this is something that colouring can create. In a world where our brains are constantly whirring and on the go from technology overload (social media is the devil haha) our minds are always active and this can cause anxiety or worsen an already existing condition not to mention have us living on edge. This is where colouring could be useful, just half an hour of colouring a day can calm the mind especially if you do it in the evening before bed and help us to unwind.


As a person who suffers with anxiety due to my ill health I am constantly on the look out for distraction and techniques to induce that calm feeling. I use mediation, hypnosis and mindfulness apps but colouring is by far the most therapeutic and relaxing thing I do. It doesn't matter how long it takes to colour in that one picture or even if I used the right colours (well to a certain degree!!) becauses there's no deadlines and it actually doesn't even matter, your just doing it for fun!

You can get some beautiful and intricate colouring books now in so many places, even supermarkets sell them. There's different types aswell ones for meditation and others that can help you to become a little more creative and exercise different sections of the brain. 
We spend so much our lives using our phones, computers and watching TV that this allows us to briefly enjoy the simple things in life again and have a little down time.

So put down the phone, grab some crayons and get colouring!

Until next time xo

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

14 comments

  1. What a gorgeous picture! I saw this exact book in Kmart and wondered if I should buy it. Maybe I will..

    Renee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it's a great colouring book im enjoying colouring it in! x

      Delete
  2. U have just bought this exact same colouring book to pass time on my flight and to use by the pool. It takes me a while to relax and unwind on holiday so I hope this will help!

    Roxie x
    thebeautifulbluebird.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a great idea, I hope you enjoy your holiday! x

      Delete
  3. Ok that's it I'm getting one of these! I seen them in the shop the other day and was intrigued! They're so cute! X

    Portugal beach days over on-
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  4. There so many different designs, one for everyone! I love this one, colouring in all the different animals :) you won't regret it! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have exactly the same book. I love your blog. Please check out mine at http://anythingandeverything.weebly.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank's for such review! I'll find it for my teenage daughter! Lots of inspiration!
    freelancehouse.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like also the coloring books. It makes me really calm, but all you need is to have good pencils and the time. Good that writing an essay became easier with this source and you do not need to rewrite many times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings! Thanks for taking the time and sharing with us such an informative post. You are very talented and creative person. I found here so many helpful ideas. Please keep it good posting. And don't forget that you can use www.custom-paper-writing.org and be sure in high quality all of your new posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a designer, mehndi designs I've incorporated much henna art in to my perform it's magic. Doing artwork using henna really adds enhancement products arf player. But on a wider scale, I have known many artists and designers are generally influenced along with use of henna from across planet and incorporated it in his/her own line of work. This precisely what we do best z4root apk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gram flour is the right product for face reports remove shortcut virus. Take about a spoonful of gram flour and mix it with some powdered turmeric root extract. Now add milk to get a paste like how to perform wudu consistency. Apply this pack to face and it on till it dries out. Then wash it away with sea water abortion in islam. This face pack is known to make your skin fairer and brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tattoo industry made a great progress way over the years. Styles have increased, tattoo designs are thought for the day becoming more enigmatic, and the way that they are added has succeeded. henna, or skin dye, is of these types of forms. Henna is painted directly on online shopping apps the skin and left to dry out good night messages for girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its nice Thank you so much for this article i really really appreciate this article people also like this event
    z4root app for android

    ReplyDelete

BLOG TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig