Davina's Oat & Maple Biscuits

Leave a Comment

Before I begin I should probably start by saying these biscuits are REFINED sugar free, i don't want the sugar police to be mad at me for using the wrong terms. I really enjoy a hobnob or two but they are so sweet, these yummy Davina's oat and maple biscuits are made with only maple syrup as the sweetener which makes them in my opinion, nicer. They are not very naughty but oh so nice!
The recipe for these makes 24 pretty decent sized biscuits and are 175 calories each so your probably best to stick to one, they might be refinded sugar free but there not exactly low calorie. I did try to make these into unicorns however the mixture doesn't stick together quite as well as a normal biscuit, oats can be tricky to work with. The only issue I had with making these was that they were a pain to roll and cut out as they dough is very delicate. If your careful and use a scalloped round cutter it makes life just a little easier.  

Ingredients 

200g unsalted butter
175ml maple syrup
300g wholemeal spelt flour 
250g oatmeal
50g porridge oats
2tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt 

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius or 180 for fan ovens. Melt the butter and maple syrup on the hob on a really low heat. Mix the flour, oatmeal, porridge oats, pinch of salt and 2 teaspoons of baking powder in a big bowl. Next add in the liquids and give it a good mix until all is combined. Remember to flour your surface and of course the rolling pin, you don't want it to stick! I grabbed about half the mixture at this point from the bowl and used my hands to mould it into a ball, you can use any size cutter you like (mine was 7cm) and roll the mixture out. It will crumble a bit but that's ok, you must persevere it will be worth it - I promise! Try to make all the biscuits the same thickness to ensure they bake evenly. Pop them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and into the oven for 18-20 mintues, you want them to be just golden brown and have a crisp snap (old Mary Berry over here).  


I love these biscuits, I wasn't sure what to expect as most sugar free recipes I've tried just don't live up to the hype but these are delicious and worth the faff. They don't spike your blood sugar like normal shop bought biscuits and are lovely with a mid afternoon cuppa when you need that little carb boost to get you through.

Let me know if you make these and what you think! 

Until next time xo 

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig