Baking With Dr.Oetker | Part 1 Browkies

Leave a Comment

So here's something a little different, over the next month I'm going to be doing a mini series called "Baking with Dr.Oetker" where I will be russling up 2 easy but super tasty recipes using a variety of Dr.Oetker ingredients that are easily found in most supermarkets all over the country. Dr.Oetker kindly sent me some of their products to bake with and I've taken a recipe from their site to show you what you can do to make baking fun! 


This tutorial is for something quite different and I hadn't heard of them before but you may have, it's the Browkie. Half brownie, half cookie! When I searched the Internet for these after finding the recipe on the Dr.Oetker site, I noticed pretty much every recipe was a brownie with cookie baked on top, so a half and half seemed like a challenge. A challenge I accepted. So let's begin. 


For the Brownie Mix:

-115g of Dr.Oetker Fine Cooks 72% Extra Dark Chocolate (as you can see I used 90% as it was all I had)
- 65g Unsalted Butter
- 1 Medium Egg
-100g Dark Brown Sugar
-1tsp Dr.Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
- 125g Plain Flour
- 1 Sachet Dr.Oetker Baking Powder


For the Cookie Mix:

- 100g Unsalted Butter
- 75g Caster Sugar
- Yolk of 1 Medium Egg
-125g Plain Flour
-100g Dr.Oetker Dark Chocolate Chips (1 bag)
-1 Sachet Dr.Oetker Baking Powder


Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (160 for fan ovens or gas mark 4)

I made the brownie first, to begin with you need to break up the chocolate and melt it in a heatproof bowl, add the butter and once both are combinded leave the mixture to cool for 10 mintues.
Pop the egg, sugar and vanilla into a bowl and whisk until creamy in texture, then the flour and baking powder. Once combined beat in the melted chocolate and try to resist eating any!
Put this to the side whilst you make the cookie mixture.

Line 3 large trays with parchment/greaseproof paper and in a separate bowl beat the butter and sugar together until it's all combined, then add the egg yolk and continue to whisk. Then add the flour, baking powder and chocolate chips, keep mixing together until it becomes a fairly firm dough. 


Divide the cookie mixture into 12 portions making them as equal as you can and roll into balls. Cut the cookie balls in half and arrange them on the trays allowing enough room for them to spread a little whilst baking. Press each half down slightly with your hand to make a half circle (don't flatten them too much!)

Onto the tricky bit. Using a teaspoon, scoop some of the brownie out of the bowl and place the mixture, slightly overlapping, next to the cookie dough. I used my fingers to press both together and join them, they didn't look perfect at this time (see photo above) but they even themselves out in the oven. 


On the Dr.Oekter website they advise you bake them for 15 mintues but I personally think 10 might be enough, just keep an eye on them. Leave to cool for 5 mintues. I served my Browkies warm, simply just popped them in the microwave for 10 seconds so they were soft and melty. I baked mine for the 15 mintues and I do think that might be a little too long, also I would recommend not to flatten the cookie mixture to much and leave them as chunky as you can.


These tasted awesome! You could differentiate between the two for sure as the cookie had a slight crunch and the brownie was more of a cake texture. The mixture makes 24 cookies but you could make 12 huge chunky ones too. All in all it took about an hour to prepare and bake, they would be perfect to have at your 3pm tea break, you could even share them with your work colleagues, friends and family (or keep them all for yourself).

Let me know if you have a go.
Keep an eye out for the next part of my Baking With Dr.Oetker series.

Until Next Time xo

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig