Sugar And Crumbs | Part 2 Orange Zest

Leave a Comment

A few weeks ago I wrote a post on Sugar And Crumbs new Nifty Nozzles and I used their Raspberry Ripple flavour natural icing sugar to frost cupcakes, you can catch up on that post here and learn a bit more about the UK based company. I mentioned that they had sent me a few other bits to try too, so this post is my part 2 using the Orange Zest icing sugar. I didn't want to bake more cupcakes so had a go at two different but equally yummy recipes!


First up is this delicious No Bake Chocolate Orange Tart. I originally wanted to do a cheesecake but saw other people were making them and didn't want to look as if I had copied! I'm glad I choose this though, it's not something I would normally eat since I find chocolate desserts to be quite rich but this was the perfect balance of chocolate and orange. It's really simple to make and you don't need many ingredients, it would be the perfect dessert for a dinner party. 

Ingredients 
- 200g Plain Digestives or Hobnobs
-100g Butter
-100g Dark Chocolate 
-100g Milk Chocolate 
-200ml Whipping Cream 
-1tbsp Golden Syrup
-2tbsp Icing Sugar (I used the Orange Zest one!)

Firstly you want to pop all the biscuits in a bag, grab a rolling pin and bash the hell out of them. This is the perfect way to release any stress you might have! Melt the butter with the syrup in the microwave and stir in the biscuits. Press onto the base of a 23-25cm round flan tin and chill in the fridge whilst you make the filling. 
Break up both chocolate bars and melt in a large bowl for about 2-3 minutes in the microwave, but do remember to check it every 30 seconds so it doesn't burn. Sift in the icing sugar, i know the recipe says use 2 tablespoons but I think I added 3/4 for a more intense taste. You then need to whip up the cream until it holds its shape and fold into the melted chocolate. Try not to eat any at this point! Pour into the tin and smooth over the top, I added some orange zest to give it a hint of colour. Now it needs to chill for at least 2 hours.

I had some whipping cream left over so I coloured it orange, added some of the Sugar and Crumbs Orange Zest icing sugar to it and popped it into a piping bag to pipe onto the plate. Mainly I did this for decoration purposes but it actually complimented it well.
It's obviously something you have to make ahead of time but it was just so easy to do and everyone loved it. I especially liked the base, I would totally make this again. You could adapt it as well by using different flavour icing sugars such as Black Cherry, Coconut Crush or Key Lime to make chocolate lime pie! 


Next up is Orange Zest Fudge! I love chocolate orange fudge so thought why not just try orange on its own? I wasn't sure how it would turn out as I've never made fudge before but it tasted great and actually came out looking like fudge, what a result. This again was an easy recipe and you only need 3 ingredients to make it. You do need to set aside some time to do this though as you will need to stir continuously for a good half hour! 


Sugar And Crumbs kindly popped a recipe card in with the icing sugar so I followed that instead of finding my own, as a first time fudge baker I think this was a wise idea! You just need to make sure you follow the steps closely as it can go from being ok to burning in seconds.

Ingredients 
- 397g Can of Condensed Milk
- 450g Sugar And Crumbs Orange Zest Icing Sugar
- 115g Butter

Place all the ingredients into a large non stick (this is important!) saucepan and melt on a low heat, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. 
Bring to the boil and let it simmer for 10/15 minutes, stirring continuously and scraping the base of the pan. The fudge is super hot so be careful not to burn yourself. If you have a sugar thermometer you can check if it's done with that (approx 118 celsius) if not to test if it's ready you can drop a little piece in a glass of ice cold water, a soft ball should form. 
Remove from the 
heat and beat the fudge until it's very thick and starting to set. Pour into a 16-18cm square tin and leave it to cool. I think it took about half hour or so before it was cool enough to cut but it's probably best to leave it as long as you can.


I cut mine into pieces and popped them into a little cellophane bag ready to be given away, which I think looked pretty cute with the ribbon. I hope my taste testers liked it, I know I did. There's so many different flavour icing sugars you could try this recipe with from Sugar and Crumbs like Salted Caramel  or Cherry Bakewell

You can pick up the 500g bags for £3.49 each on Sugar And Crumbs website and Amazon. I 100% recommend them, they will change the way you bake forever. Look out for the final part in this series in a few weeks time.

Until Next Time xo

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig