Health Food Bars | The Good, The Bad & The Very Yummy

Leave a Comment

If you know me it will come as no surprise to you that I would do a post on raw health bars eventually. I probably go through 3/4 health bars (on average) a week, i can't get enough. I've never been that adventurous though and tend to stick with the same brands, so when The Primal Pantry got in touch with me to try their yummy paleo bars and write a post for them I didn't hesitate. Which is where the idea of trying a variety of different bars and reviewing them for you guys came in so you can get an idea of what's yummy and what might be a waste of money, because let's be honest they aren't cheap are they?


Some of these bars I purchased myself but thank you to Raw Health, Nakd, The Primal Pantry, Aduna and Bounce for sending me a selection of their goodies to include in this post. All opinions are of course my own and if I didn't like any I will certainly say so! 


Raw Health Truly Juicy Bar "Apricot & Almond" - At £1.69 each they are certainly not cheap but both are gluten and dairy free so great if you have food intolerances. Packed full of dates (the primary ingredient), apricots, brazil nuts and almonds you know that they are perfectly clean and only made from wholesome ingredients. 

Raw Health Truly Juicy Bar "Date & Brazil Nut" - Both bars are dense and you get a generous sized bar for the money. I prefer this one to the apricot and almond because I don't know how but it tastes like Christmas fruit cake! There's coconut and vanilla powder in this bar which makes it sweeter, but absolutely no ingredients that resemble a fruit cake, your have to try it and see what I mean! 


Nakd Cocoa Orange - I eat nakd bars all the time and this has been my favourite bar for ages, it's sweet from the orange flavouring and of course packed full of cocoa but I like that they are still healthy and made from raw dates and cashews. Again gluten and dairy free. £2.50 for a box of 4 and 75p each from supermarkets and health food shops. If you want to try any, try this flavour first - your be hooked! 

Nakd Strawberries & Cream Nibbles - The nibbles are a new addition to the Nakd range and the strawberries and cream one is super tasty. Again made with dates and cashews like all Nakd bars are, they just have natural flavourings added to give it the strawberry flavour. There's no added sugars though so you don't have to feel bad for snacking on a bag of these.

Nakd Toffee Treat Nibbles - I love the flavour of the toffee one and they do a salted caramel version too which to be honest tastes exactly the same to me. They are quite sweet though but they are a good alternative to a chocolate bar as it will satisfy your sweet cravings. These are also only 75p for a 40g bag and on offer all the time in supermarkets. 


Bounce Energy Ball "Cacao Mint" - Bounce balls are all packed full of protein (10g a ball). I quite like to eat these as an afternoon snack that will keep me full until dinner or alternatively as a dessert, especially like this one as it tastes like After Eights! Made with cacao so no sugary chocolate just cacao nibs which give it a nice crunch. 

Bounce Energy Ball "Apple & Cinnamon" - I think this was my favourate bounce ball, it tastes exactly like apple pie. The sweetener is agave syrup instead of artificial sugars and mostly made from cashew nuts. Next time I go to Holland and Barrett I'm going to pick a few more up! 

Bounce Energy Ball " Coconut & Macadamia" I'm a big coconut fan so I knew I'd like this one, it's covered in desiccated coconut which reminds me a little bit of a healthy alternative to a snowball. I've heard if you break one into pieces, pop them in the oven for 5 minutes and flatten them out you can eat them as warm cookies, mmm.

Bounce Energy Ball " Spirulina & Ginseng" - Although not at all horrible this was my least favourite of the lot, I like that I know it has good ingredients in but I'm not a fan of spirulina. Ginseng is known for its energy boosting properties so it would be great as an after gym snack or even for a 3pm pick me up. All the bars are priced at £1.69, which I know is quite expensive but they are worth the money.


The Primal Pantry "Hazelnut & Cocoa" Raw Paleo Bar - All the primal bars are sugar, gluten and dairy free which is great. Made from only the best dried fruit (predominately dates) and perfect for paleo and vegan diets. Each bar contains almond oil so they taste sweet however they are not overpowering. You can definitely taste the cocoa in this one, but it has a lovely hazelnut and vanilla after taste. I would buy this one again.

The Primal Pantry "Brazil Nut & Cherry" Raw Paleo Bar - I love the packaging on all these bars, the little caveman animal drawings are adorable. This was my favourate bar out of the 5, it had a nice crunch to it from the brazil nut but what really made this bar was the chunks of cherry. Although it could of had more! 

The Primal Pantry "Coconut & Macadmia" Raw Paleo Bar - As I mentioned earlier I love coconut and this chewy delight did not dissapoint my taste buds. Packed full of coconut it was the perfect texture, nice and sweet. 

The Primal Pantry "Almond & Cashew" Raw Paleo Bar - Sadly the most disappointing of them all, It didn't have much of a taste and could do with some dried fruit in I think. Big chunks of nut which I wasn't keen on and not sweet enough for me. 

The Primal Pantry "Apple & Pecan" Raw Paleo Bar - This is the newest bar in the collection and is a firm favourate. You can taste the sweetness from the apple but I like that the cinnamon comes through aswell. If you like Nakd bars you should try The Primal Pantry range, they are quite similar in texture and taste but these are thicker and maybe a little more indulgent but without any nasties. They are priced at £1.49 each but I don't think that's to bad for the size bar you get. 


Plant For Peace "Pomegranate, Mulberry & Lemon Oil" Yogurt Coated Superfoods Bar - I'm really sorry Plant For Peace but this bar was awful. When I picked up the bar in Holland and Barrett I was excited to try it since it was made with lemon oil and yogurt coated, I don't know if it's the mulberry but it was so bitter. It's an unusual taste and I will not be trying one of those again. I do like that for every bar sold a tree is planted for the farmers in Afghanistan to help them achieve a more stable and sustainable living using pomegranates. The bars cost £1.39.

Meridian Almond Bar - If your a fan of the old almond butter then you HAVE to try this bar, they aren't too sweet and are really rather filling. The texture is perfect, smooth with a slight crunch. The peanut butter version is just as good too! Instead of sugar the bar is sweetened with agave and brown rice malt syrup which I use when I make peanut butter balls, great alternative to artificial sugar. £1.49 for Holland and Barrett. 

Aduna Moringa "Mango & Cashew" Green Superleaf Energy Bar - Firstly can be acknowledge how lovely the packaging is, it's so bright and colourful it would be hard not to be drawn in by them in a shop. Moringa is a green superfood that's super high in antioxidants and a good source of protein. These both make great energy bars and are 100% raw, gluten, dairy and sugar free! Main ingredient is of course dates like most of the other bars but you can really taste the fruity mango and ginger in this one. I would definitely buy these again. 

Aduna Baobob "Pineapple & Almonds" Superfruit Energy Bar - Like Moringa, Baobob is a superfood however Baobob is packed full of vitamin c which we need to keep our immune systems healthy. I think out of the two I preferred this one only because it was sweeter due to the pineapple, apple juice and sweet almonds. The bars are quite chewy and I know there probably not to everyone's taste but if your into your superfoods this might be a good choice for you. £1.89 each, again from Holland And Barrett.

I hope this post has given you a few ideas of new bars to try or even which ones to maybe avoid, either way I hope you find your perfect raw bar! 

Until Next Time xo

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig